A Comprehensive Guide To Writing An APA Format Dissertation
Preparing a dissertation is often a daunting task, so it makes sense to use all the help that you can. Writing instructors agree that having a comprehensive guide to writing and formatting your paper is very useful. The following tips and simple steps are designed to help you write your work in APA. This format is very popular and easy to follow, as it involves common sense and some clear guidelines on how to write academic papers and what formatting to apply.
What the Basic APA Format Dissertation Requirements Include
The basic APA style requirements include using 12 pt Times New Roman font, putting 1-inch margins on all sides, double-spacing throughout the dissertation, using a page header at the top of every page with a page number and shortened version of your assignment’s title. You should also pay attention to APA formatting of tables and figures and citation basics. It is important to learn the main rules and follow them precisely.
It makes sense to get an APA writing manual from your school’s library or download the APA style guide on the website of your department. However, you should also revise the comments provided by your academic advisor, as he or she may ask you to combine different writing styles in order to make your assignment more reader-friendly. You may also get a sample paper or a template that you can follow at your school’s writing center.
How to Write Your APA Format Dissertation Step-by-Step
After you collect all the help materials, you should complete these easy steps in order to prepare your first draft:
- Create a title page with your dissertation title, your full name, and your school name.
- Leave the second page for your paper’s abstract and keywords that you would write when the assignment is ready.
- Organize your thoughts in a reasonable amount of sections and subsections. Start your main text on the third page.
- Cite while you write. Keep in mind that different sources of information require different formatting in the APA style, so it is helpful to use special bibliographic software to organize your in-text citations and the list of references.
- Make sure that you have all the information you need to cite the sources that you have used in a correct way. Ask a librarian for some assistance if needed.
- Find and use tips and tricks provided by your academic instructor and your fellow students to make your work easier.