Preparing For Your Dissertation Defense: 8 Effective Tips
For many students, writing the dissertation is not the most difficult part. Sure, it takes a long time before you can submit the project and you have to memorize a lot of information. However, the scary part is when you have to defend your thesis in front of your professors. They are all there asking you questions, and you are afraid that you will fail. What you have to do?
- Get some good sleep the night before. If you did not study until now, don’t try to do it the night before. You will be tired the second day and you will also forget what you knew. Take some rest and try to start your day fresh.
- Prepare the materials in advance. If you are planning to present some pictures together with your composition, print them and make sure you have them ready in the day before. If you leave this for the last moment, you will be very stressed and not professional in your presentation.
- Discuss with others and see what you should expect. If you have older brothers or friends who already finished college, you can talk with them about this issue. They will give you the encouragement that you need to be successful.
- Don’t try to memorize anything. You have to talk freely, to show them that you really understood the subject. Anyone can memorize a few paragraphs from a thesis and use this as a presentation. The more original you are, the better it will be.
- Smile all the time. It does not matter if the questions are very difficult and you feel like you want to run. You have to smile and maintain a friendly tone. Otherwise they will become defensive and more severe with you.
- Admit you don’t hold all the answers. Sometimes your professors will ask you questions that are not necessarily related to your subject. If you know the answer and you are confident in your knowledge, you can talk about this. If not, it’s better to admit it and move on.
- Show them that you are smart. For sure you have a good knowledge about many subjects, and you have to be proud of this. Introduce elements of history, arts, literature in your presentation; they will be impressed.
- Find out who will give you the grade. This is the professor that you want to impress.